Benefits of Collagen
What is Collagen?
Collagen is one of the most abundant proteins in our bodies. It constitutes 25-30% of all proteins in the body. Although collagen is known for being the structural fibre of the skin, collagen can also be found in many other parts of the body such as tendons, joints, and cartilage.
Collagen makes up 75% of the bulk of our skin. Collagen fibres provide structural integrity to the skin, just like the scaffolding of a building. Together with other proteins such as elastin and hyaluronic acid, these trio of proteins keep the skin plump, tight and hydrated.
Connective tissue cells called fibroblasts produce and maintain collagen. As people grow older, their collagen becomes fragmented, fibroblast function becomes impaired, and collagen production slows. Other factors such as UV exposure, pollution, smoking, and sugar consumption generate free radicals which damage collagen and accelerate collagen breakdown. These factors, along with the loss of another key structural protein called elastin, lead to signs of aging such as sagging skin and wrinkles.
What are the benefits of Collagen?
- Improvement in skin health: Collagen influences your skin’s elasticity and benefits in the hydration of the skin – which contributes to a well-maintained skin. As you age, the production of collagen decreases which then leads to wrinkle formation and dryness. In such a condition, one can resort to clinically approved collagen supplements that will make up for the loss of collagen in your body.
- Skin hydration: The loss of collagen due to aging or environmental factors can leave your skin feeling dry and flaky. By adding collagen back into your skin, you can give your skin the hydration it needs to maintain a smooth, soft, radiant appearance.
- Improves skin tone: The amino acids found in collagen help keep your skin looking smooth, even, and healthy. To improve an uneven complexion, collagen is the answer.
- Helps wound healing: Since collagen is a natural source of protein for skin structuring, it contributes to quicker wound healing.
- Minimize scars: Collagen’s amino acids can also help minimize the appearance of dark spots and scars from acne or other skin issues. Collagen supplements have been found to promote healthy tissue formation, which speeds up the healing process so your skin can naturally repair itself.
- Firm and tone skin: While creams and other skin products containing collagen help improve the outer layer of skin, collagen supplements will increase collagen on a deeper level (in the dermis). The dermis is responsible for keeping skin tight and firm, so the more collagen that reaches this level, the better your skin will look.